What is Pet Adoption & How To Begin
Pet adoption is the process of taking guardianship of and responsibility for a pet that a previous owner has abandoned or released to a shelter or rescue organization. Common sources for adoptable pets are animal shelters and rescue groups.
What to know about Adoption:
Adopting a pet is a big step and should not be taken lightly. This decision should be discussed with all family members. Review the following and if you can say yes to all of them, then you are ready to adopt and give a fur-ever home to a lucky pet.
1. Are you prepared to share a lifetime with your new pet?
2. Have you research different types of dogs and cats to learn their traits and decide which if better suited for you?
3. Are you prepared to care for your pet? Who will be responsible for cleaning litterboxes, or brushing coats, taking walks?
4. Are you prepared for the additional financial expense? Veterinarian visits, food, toys, leashes, grooming?
5. Are ready to receive lots of love each time you arrive back home?
If you answered yes, then you are ready for the Next step. What type of pet do you want to adopt?
1. Dog or Cat?
2. Big or Small?
3. Short Hair or Long Hair?
4. Non Shedding or ok to Shed?
5. Young pet or a mature pet?
Once you have these answers, you are ready for the next step.
1. Come to the center for a meet and greet session with our available pets.
2. Learn as much as you can about any pets that you are interested.
a. Learn about their history
b. What is their temperament like?
c. What is their age?
d. Any known medical conditions?
e. What are the expected grooming requirements?
f. Do they have any training? Know commands, walk on a leash, housebroken?
3. Complete an adoption application.(Download the form here)
4. Once approved, you are ready to Adopt!
The Adoptable Dog" Is GA's Official Mascot